17 April 2009

Update 17th April 2009

Hello! Well I'm looking forward to this growing season as all the seedlings/juvenilles are looking pretty strong and are sending up new growth.

The 'Venus Flytraps' have survived the whole year outside in the bog garden, which I'm very surprised with! I did fleece cover over the harsh winter frosts, ice and snow! But hey they're alive!

All pics to follow, also if you WANT to see specific photos of any of my setup/specific plants then I'm more than willing to share.

I recently went to Germany and picked up 2 Nepenthes from the local OBI (similar to B&Q in the UK) in Naila:

N. ventricosa X maxima
N. sanguinea

Both very small and quite healthy looking even after the ham handed luggage handlers! I have re-potted both into an appropriate mix of; Peat moss, Perlite and sphagnum moss chopped up into a fine grade.

From the 1 N. ventricosa X maxima I have divided it into 3 cuttings, which I'm quietly confident in their growing future. Learning from my mistake with my previous Nepenthes (See early post) I am NOT ever going to attempt to grow these in the cold-frame over cold seasons! even with heat! I've put them all into my indoor growing unit just to see how they progress and how tolerent they are to different levels of humidity. Anyway I'll keep you posted if anything pops up good or bad!

I have also repotted my Darlingtonia Californica seedling that has been in the cold frame all year with great results. I repotted it because I didn't like the look of some green growth on top of the perlite. Probably harmless to the seedling but I'm not willing to risk green stuff growing near a seedling!
New growth is beginning now the weather is warming up :) Looking good.

The Sarracenia seedlings are also sending out new growth, which is re-assuring! As well as the seedling Sarracenia, the bog garden Sarracenia's are also emerging from dormanacy!

I have Drosera capensis/kanto growing everywhere by the way! If there is sphagnum moss on top of any potted substrate you can bet your life there will be a little capensis or kanto growing in there. I don't have a problem with this as long as they don't interfere too much! Must be some of those flower heads bearing seeds down on the sphagnum somehow. All good!

Nothing else to report yet, will put the pics up when I have the time. Requests welcome!

Matt


No comments: