15 December 2007

Drosera spatulata kanto

Drosera Spatulata Kanto aka Sundew

I purchased this species of sundew from plants-a-float
Before it arrived in the post I prepared a special looking pot for it. I used a shallow glass desert bowl that I bought for £1. I was going to display the plant as a usual house plant, but didn't realise how small the plant would be until I saw it first hand!

I put a layer of perlite on the bottom of the bowl, then Moss Peat followed lastly by sphagnum moss which was roughly chopped. I planted the Drosera bang in the center.

As I mentioned early it was rather small when it arrived, roughly 2cm in diameter so my original idea of displaying it as a house plant on it's own table seemed rather bleak and feeble. i decided to nurture it and place it in my special 'Intensive Care Unit' (which ill write an entry for later) and boost it's size and colour.

Well since putting it under artificial lighting it has grown alot! colour up really, really well and is one of my best looking plants so far.

When the temperature heats up it sends up very long flowers with a realy cute petal formation. I actually think they open up either at first light or when darkness begins to fall. Infact where i've just let it flower and let things grow reletivly naturally (bar artificial light!) it has begun to multiply and seed itself in the layer of sphagnum around it. I've noticed lots of tiny Drosera starting to sprout up....So one day I think it'll make a real great focal point of a plant if it carries on growing so well and healthily! Really pleased with this plant :)

The picture to the right is what the plant looked like when I first planted it. >>>>>

No comments: