6 December 2007

Pinguicula Moranensis Aka Butterwort

Pinguicula Moranensis Aka Butterwort

This was the first carnivorous plant I ever bought. Actually bought about 4 years ago at a local garden centre. I didn't have a clue as to what it's growing/cultivation requirements were at that point!

For 2 years I had it sitting on a dish full of normal tap water, positioned on a south facing window sil. All of this without it dying! Therefore I see this species as quite water hardy!

It has been re-potted into a perlite and chopped sphagnum mix, watered now with purified water as i don't want to push my luck too far regarding potentially poisonous water for it!

When the weather starts to cool down these VERY tall purple flowers begin shooting up all over the place! At the moment I have 4 all up at once, looks quite impressive! Then after these flowers when the weather cools even more the plant begins its rest period, forming non-carnivorous leaves which appear smaller and more tightly arranged. As shown below.
This was the plant just coming out of it's non carnivorous stage or dormancy phase.

When left outside I always make sure the leaves don't get wet by rainfall as it kills the leaves off, makes them go transparent then they wilt. Also if it's a warm dry night this plant is quite often covered with midges and other small flies...A good bug catcher!

An observation I made is that the higher the humidity the bigger and faster the leaves get produced during the growing carnivorous period.

No comments: